Monday, October 30, 2006

By the Way, Happy Belated Republic Day


Well, I'm an idiot. Yesterday I made a mental note to myself to say a little something in honor of Turkey's Republic Day. Of course I never got to it, then today got wrapped up in some news about tourism being down, and so I forgot. So anyway, I'll talk a little about the important national holiday that was celebrated yesterday. October 29th, 1923 was the day the Turkish constitution was amended in order to make Turkey a republic, and thus October 29th is celebrated every year as Republic Day in Turkey. This is an important holiday in Turkey, especially for those of us who are still in love with Kemalism. So happy belated Republic Day everybody.

2 Comments:

Blogger IMA said...

Speaking for myself, this day had more significance for me than Bayram. I'm such a patriotic heathen!

10:45 PM  
Blogger Semih Aydin said...

I know what you mean. How many countries in the world can claim what Turkey can when it comes to the creation of a Republic? This day represents the progressiveness that modern Turkey embraced in its early days and which I believe Turkey will embrace once again.

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home