Friday, December 08, 2006

Turkey Offers Concession on Cyprus, Still not Enough for EU


Yesterday Turkey offered what I think is a very fair agreement. I even think Turkey may have offered too much here, honestly, yet the EU was quick to shut it down. Apparently the EU has a "my way or the highway" attitude that very much resembles the Bush administration many of its members have critisized. Turkey offered to open one port and one airport to trade from Cyprus for a year, on the condition that the EU would open trade to one N. Cypriot seaport (Famagusta) and one airport (Ercan). After that, Turkey would commit to intense talks with the UN aimed at ending the Cyprus standoff. I think this deal is more than fair, but Cyprus has already ruled out allowing any traffic to Famagusta or Ercan. They don't care that they will get to trade with Turkey, denying any economic opportunity to the deprived Turks in the North is much more important to them. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Turkey's chances at EU membership died the day the Greek Cypriots voted against re-unification and the EU still let them in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home